Monday, May 19, 2008

SOME RECAPS

Today marks my 3rd year in The United States. I have the mixed feeling on what I HAVE and what I DO NOT HAVE so far.

I'll like to begin with something positive and encouraging on what I HAVE. First of all, it is definately the relationship that I traded by forgoing most of what I had in Malaysia. I fully understand that it wasn’t a bed of roses waiting for me to receive and appreciate. It needs water & sunsine. Likewise, to nurture a good relationship, it requires mutual effort, respect, understanding and support of each other. Some friends questioned me why would I take such a high risk to marry someone whom I knew through Internet and someone of different race and and culture overseas? There is no guarantee for good marriage. Somehow, I am glad to say that, we are able to overcome and accept each shortcoming over time. One good point to this success may due to the fact that Ah Don accept that my other names are “ I Know & Always Right”

The next good thing is my improving health; since the medical bill is extremely expensive in this country, I have to avoid such cost. Luckily, my body has been kind to me; so far I have not being to any doctors for medical reason except once to the dentist. My secret to good health....practise Tai Chi and yoga every morning and follow natural health remedies.

On the negative side, I am getting super lazy and lack of confidence to pursue anything. I was not keen to set any goals. I felt there is no incentive to have the goal neither have I being motivated to aim high; There are so many limitations imposed on me. However, I do have the heart that keeps telling me that I need to get back my old active life; I ough to work harder, I should rebuild a good career here; I need to look for social works to involve with, I really have to extend my circle of friends and networking etc. But, my body just refuses to make the effort to initial the move. I would rather make excuses or to put the blame for not being given the fair opportunity in this foreign land!

In my first year, It was justified to say that I could not to do anything out from home since I did not have the status of Permanent Residency. So , that was basically a period for me to explore and learn how to adjust myself to the weather and culture of this country. In the mean time, I had to learn how to be somebody’s wife. It was a non-productive and non-progressive period. The only thing that I picked up during this period was how to list my sales in eBay.Also, it was through this process that I found my love for Garage Sale!!

In August the following year, I got my first job with the Green Card in hand. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay long with the company sue to some internal changes.

Then for the whole year in 2007, I lived on unemployment benefits. This is certainly my very first experience in my entire life. Beside this, I was fortunate to get the sponsorship form the the Manpower Department to pursue 2 management courses in a college. I went for computer training in the morning and attended management classes in the evening. I received 2 certificates from the American Management Association just 2 days before we moved to Florida. So this could be something that I have accomplished so far.

Currently, I am working full time, the job may not be the one that I want in mind; however, it put me in the workforce. Perhaps, this should be the time to kick myself hard enough to move toward the direction and the life that I want.

No comments: