Tuesday, April 29, 2008

CAN YOU IMAGINE THIS?

Finally, I went to see a Dentist this afternoon. Ah Don made the appointment for me and insisted that I go. He knew that I have had trouble in eating lately.

First, I filled out some papers on my particular, dental history.......,consent for the dentist to disclose health information, taking photo, acknowledge notice of privacy practices ...... this was surely the first time that I come across such procedures at a dentist's office. Why ??? Medical practitioners here have to protect themselves from being sued by unhappy clients.

Next, the dental assistant asked a whole lot of questions before she could proceed with the X-rays and I could see the roots of all my teeth from 2 PC screens.

After she completed all her reports, the dentist came to see me. He appeared he had been briefed by the assistant. The first question he asked was "Would you like to have an implant? " I did not answer because I knew an implant would be very expensive. He kept telling me it would be good to have a good treatment plan ....... so on and so forth, blah, blah, blah ..... The only thing I had in mind for this visit was to have my cavity fixed. That's all !

After the long talk, he told me that he had to take a few shots of my teeth and my SMILE.......Twenty minutes later, he explained to me, with the images of my teeth on the screen, what he intended to do for me..... As I knew that I might not understand all of his dental terminology, I suggested to invite Ah Don to join us..... While they were talking, all I could hear was..... "... this option will cost $14K, this other option will cost $12K and the third option will cost $11K ..."

OMG..... how much it is in Malaysian Ringgit?!?!?!!!!

I knew I would not chose any of the options so, I told the Dentist I need time to think about the options and left.

On the way back to work... I told Ah Don "If I were to spend that amount of money on my teeth, it would be better and wiser for me to fly back to Malaysia (perhaps in first class seat) to have my complete dental treatment!!!"

Anyway.... this is life in America. Love it or leave it ! ha ha haha........

No comments: